1. Luna-another name for the Moon
2. MoonÕs rotation- takes 27.3 days & revolution takes 27.3 days, this causes
the same side of the Moon to always face the Earth.
3. Moonlight-surface of the Moon reflects the light of the Sun.
4. Moon phases - different ways the Moon appears from Earth. phase of the Moon depends on the positions of the Moon, Earth, and the Sun
5. Moon Phases- New Moon, Waxing Crescent, First Quarter, Waxing Gibbous, Full Moon, Waning Gibbous, Last Quarter, Waning Crescent, and back to New Moon.
6. New moon -the Moon is between Earth and the Sun. During a new moon, the lighted half of the Moon faces the Sun and dark side of the Moon faces Earth.
7. Waxing- more of the lighted half of the Moon can be seen each night
8. Full moon occurs when all of the MoonÕs surface that faces Earth reflects light.
9. Waning-after the full moon and before the New Moon.
10. Waning means that you can see less and less of the lighted half of the Moon each night.
11. Lunar Month-it takes 29.5 days for the Moon to complete its cycle of phases.
12. Two extra days-the Moon takes 27.3 days to revolve around Earth but because the Earth is orbiting the Sun, the Moon always has to catch up.
13. Eclipses –EarthÕs shadow on the Moon, or the MoonÕs shadow on the Earth.
14. Eclipse can take place ONLY when the Sun, the Moon, and Earth are lined up perfectly.
15. solar eclipse -Moon moves BETWEEN the Sun and Earth and casts its shadow over part of Earth.
16. Solar Eclipse-can only happen during a new moon.
17. Umbra- darkest portion of the MoonÕs shadow on Earth during an eclipse, surrounding the umbra is a lighter shadow called the penumbra
18. Lunar Eclipse-when Earth moves directly between the Sun and the Moon and its shadow falls on the Moon
19. Lunar eclipses happen only during the full moon phase.
20. Total lunar eclipse can be seen by anyone on the nighttime side of Earth
21. Mare or maria-Dark colored, flat regions on the Moon, formed as the lava spread.
22. impact theory- the Moon formed billions of years ago when Earth collided with a Mars-sized object.