Hydrology Notes 2
12. groundwater is found in aquifer
13. aquifer is an underground layer of permeable rock that contains water
14. permeable rock has spaces in it that can contain water
15. runoff is water from rain or melted snow that can help refill the aquifers
16. infiltration is the process of runoff soaking down into the aquifers
17. water table is the top of the water level in an aquifer
18. water wells- most drinking water comes from wells drilled down into the aquifer. Our drinking water comes from the aquifer!
19. reservoirs are large lakes that provide some drinking water for cities. Which lake in Georgia does Atlanta use?
20. desalination-process of removing salt from sea water to make it drinkable. IS EXPENSIVE!
Don’t copy below here:
During 1985, an average of about 3 billion gallons per day of freshwater was withdrawn from the Floridan Aquifer for all purposes.